Parle (exports) Pvt. ltd, Mumbai
The organization was marketing carbonated drinks like Thums Up, Limca, Gold Spot and Bisleri soda in domestic market and it was felt that to develop a sustainable growth model, it was essential to launch Fruit drink to complement the existing product portfolio.
A research was carried out and it was decided that the company should introduce a mango drink, as Indians always preferred mango fruit over any other fruit.
Hence, Mango Maaza was developed and it was decided to market it in a glass bottle.
To develop a comprehensive "Go To Market" plan for introducing Mango Maaza drink in Eastern India. The challenge was to create a space for a fruit drink for the first time in a market dominated by strong carbonated drink brands. It was also desired that product advertising and promotions should
create a differentiated brand image.
How it was done?
- West Bengal was selected as the entry market with Calcutta being the launch pad.
- It was decided to place the product in at least 70 % of retail outlets (considering carbonated drink category presence at retail outlets to be the universe)
- A campaign was run to place ice boxes at reatil outlets. This ensured that retailers were willing to keep the new product along with new ice box.
- To create visibility, 1.0 lakh sq.feet of wallpainting was done within a span of 2 months, 50 hoardings were taken at strategic locations and TV campaign was started.
- In addition to this visibility drive, “taste events” were created in order to sample the product to consumers. This was done at colleges, schools, clubs etc.
- To create a sense of urgency, bundling of products was done with fast selling products like Thums Up, Limca and Gold Spot.This resulted in rapid distribution of Mango Maaza in even B & C class retail outlets.
“Mango Maaza” was able to create a completely new category along with carbonated drinks category. Due to intelligent mix of advertising and promotions, rapid awareness and image was built within a shot span of six months.
Media dubbed the “Mango Maaza” launch as one of the most successful product launches of the decade.